1. Homework check!
1. Where in the world are we? Together we take a look at the map using Google Earth.
2. Tell each other about "how blacks were treated in South Carolina before the 1950s, when the Walkabout was written.
I am going to read chapter 3, 4 and 5 aloud.
1. Have you ever gone to another country when nobody spoke your language? How did you feel?
If you haven't - how do you think you would feel?
2. Is Mary afraid of, angry with or in love with the bush boy?
3. What is a mugga-wood?
Why does the bush boy want to die there? Will the boy die there or will the children help him? Why/Why not?
4. What do you think Uncle Keith did when he understood that the children were lost in the desert?
5. The children have changed in the story. What were they like at the beginning of the story and what are they like now?
5. Reading, understanding and writing!
The class will be divided into 3 different groups.
Together we are going to take a look at the text from different perspectives.
Open a Google document and help each other in the group. Make sure everyone is active. Share your texts with me: firstname.lastname@example.org
Group 1 will write Mary’s thoughts about the bush boy.
What does she think about the bush buy? Does she like him? Dislike him? How do you know? Add quotes from the text to support your text.
Mary thinks that the bush boy is... because...
On page.... we can read that.... , which means that Mary thinks..
Group 2 will write Peter’s thoughts about the bush boy.
Group 3 will write the bush boy’s thoughts about Mary and Peter.
Then, we are going to put the different perspectives together to one text and we will take a look at the similarities and differences.
6. Speaking and writing individually
1. Imagine that Mary and Peter finally arrive in Adelaide and they find a smartphone. The phone is open and you see that Snapchat seems to be working even if it is someone else's account. You now have the opportunity to create a new My Story and post it. Hopefully, you will now have a chance to find Uncle Keith.
How to do it:
If you have your own Snapchat account - send me a short snapchat where you pretend to be either Mary or Peter. Explain what has happened to you, who you need to find and why.
My Snapchat nickname is: Piggelin2 (Sara Bruun)
If you don't have Snapchat, use your Chromebook instead. Make sure you have the add-on Screencastify installed on your computer. Film yourself and send the film to me in Google Classroom. (Copy the link to the film, Open Google Classroom, Open the task, Add link, Send to me) I will show you how to do this, don't worry!
2. A bit further away you suddenly find a notebook and a pencil. You are now able to write a letter to the local newspaper and ask for help.
Imagine that you are either Mary or Peter. Describe what has happened to you, where you are, that you are looking for Uncle Keith and that you need help to find him.
Write maximum one A4 page, size 12.
Remember how to write a letter? If you don't - take a look here: A letter