After reading chapter 9:
Phrases to talk about:
" I think they do it on purpose" What do you do - when you do something on purpose?
"Don't be rude" - What do you say or do if you are being rude to someone?
"He's clever at his business" - What does it mean? Is it something good or bad? Can you give an example of someone being clever at his/her business?
" I will not waste any of my time in here" - Have you ever felt that you wasted your time on something? When and why?
" Do you live by yourself, Miss Honey?" What does it mean to live by yourself?
" nobody can find his will " What is a will?
Work with your neighbour and discuss the questions below. Take notes, since we will talk about the questions in class.
- What question does Miss Trunchbull ask Rupert?
- What word does Miss Trunchbull ask Eric to spell?
- What does Miss Trunchbull call Matilda’s father?
- How old was Miss Honey when her father died?
- How much does Miss Honey pay to live in the little house?
- Who is Miss Honey’s aunt?
- What does Matilda do with the pieces of chalk?
- Why does Miss Trunchbull leave the village?
- What arrives at the office?
- Imagine that someone who hasn't read the book asks you about it - How would you describe the story? Is it a good story? Why? Why not? What is it about? What are the people in the story like? Do you like or dislike any of them? Motivate your opinions.
Almost all novels have conflicts of some kind. Sometimes they are between two or more people
(external conflicts), and sometimes the conflict is within the characters themselves, (internal
conflicts). Try to find examples of both of these kinds of conflicts. The character might, for example be fighting with another character, and that would make an external conflict, or the character might be struggling with him‐ or herself over something he/she has done that he/she knows was wrong.
Describe these conflicts Give examples and use quotes from the book to show what those
conflicts are about.
Reading log part 3
1. What's the theme of the book (love conquers all, unhappy love, war, evil, the poor boy/girl reaching success,...)? Give examples and use quotes from the book!
2. How do you like the ending? Why? Do you think the book should have ended in another way? Why/why not? If you want another ending, what would it be?
3. Try to sum up the book in a few sentences.
4. What do you think about the book? What did you, personally, learn from reading the novel? Why was this story worth telling?