Freedom Writers Diary
Monday Nov 14
For the next few weeks, we will be working with Freedom Writers Diary. We will read extracts from the book and also listen to episodes of the Freedom Writers podcast.
Before you start reading you need to understand a few concepts, where some places and who some persons are. Otherwise, it will be hard to understand the book and pod.
1. Below you can see a blank map of the different states in the US.Do you know where to find the cities: Washington D.C, New York, Chicago, Phoenix, Miami, Houston, San Fransico, Los Angeles and San Diego?
1. Without using Google - put an X on the map where you think the cities are.
2. Turn to your neighbour and compare your maps.
The American dream. Have you heard about the expression before?
What do you think it means?
1. Individually - write down your thoughts
2. Turn to a neighbor - discuss the expression
3. In class - tell the rest of the class what you think about the American Dream. Does it really exist?
4. The places and persons below are all taken from the book we will read. They are important to know about so you will be able to understand the book.
Find out more about:
- Where is it? Where is the place situated? Why is it a well-known place?
- Who is it? Why is it important to know this person?
- What happened? Why is it important to know what happened?
After about 15 minutes you will individually present the name/place/event you got. One student is presenting and the rest of you take notes.
Ku Klux klan
Wilson High School
Living in the projects
The American Dream
Mongomery bus boycott
Martin Luther King Jr
1992 Los Angeles Riots
The American Civil War
Free states and slave states - Pre-Civil War