söndag 7 januari 2024

Show - don't tell!

Show- don't tell 

When writing a text it is important to catch the reader's attention and make the reader continue reading. I guess you have stopped reading many times since you found the text boring?  

During the coming lessons, you will learn how to write like an author! Show, and just don't tell! 

Let us take a look at how it can be done! 

Presentation - Show, don't tell (the theme is inspired by Bryel Weinlein @bryel_weinlein)

Open the presentation to learn more and find instructions.


 

Now we have learned how to use descriptive words and how to show and not just tell. Let's move on and write individually.


Open Trelson and lock down your computers


Write a personal narrative and start with one of the sentences below. 

Make sure you show and don’t tell, have a beginning, a middle and an end. 

Where does the story take place?

Who is your main character?

Describe the setting and the people in it.

Feel free to use your imagination! 

Write between 200  and 700 words, size 12. 

You will only write in class and you will get two lessons.


  1. I got off the boat furious and trembling. I was never getting back on there again, not with him at least. There was no way I was going to let him…

  2. Yesterday, my mother was turned into a rock. Yes, a rock. The kind that’s small enough to put in my pocket and carry around. In fact, that’s where she is right now. I have one week to figure out who did this and find them if I ever want to see her face again.

  3. I was running out of time. They’d said they’d give me until sundown, and that was only a few hours away. I had to…

  4. “Okay, okay, I’m here,” I said, rolling my eyes for effect. “What was this important news that you had to drag me away from pizza night for?”

  5. I got off the boat furious and trembling. I was never getting back on there again, not with him at least. There was no way I was going to let him…

  6. I got off the boat furious and trembling. I was never getting back on there again, not with him at least. There was no way I was going to let him…


Feedback

1. In front of you there is an anonymous text written by someone in the class.
2. Go through the checklist below and give feedback on the text.
3. Write directly on the paper and hand it to me when you are done. Remember to be nice. Write your own name as well so I know who has given the feedback.

Checklist 

Show - don't tell

1. Which is the best sentence in the text of "show - don't tell"? Underline it. 

2. Find two sentences that need to be improved. Suggest improvements. 


Language

1. Do all sentences, people and places begin with a capital letter?
2. Do all sentences end with correct punctuation? (. , ? !)  Help: Punctuation 
3. Has the author written I with a capital I?
4. Are there varied sentence lengths?
5. Has the author remembered the paragraph division?  Help: Paragraphs
5. Are there colourful and describing words?
6. Has the author followed the instructions on how to write a letter?
7. Is the text interesting and worth reading - if not - what can be improved?
7. Are the verb forms correctly written? Help: Verb
8. Did you check the text for spelling mistakes? 
Don't use Google Translate.
Help:
Dictionaries:
 ord.se
Merriam-Webster.com

Hand in your text! 






Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar